This past weekend my family was invited to see a press release of the new Smurf movie The Lost Village. It inspired us to try our hand at making a quick and easy Smurf hat from a white t-shirt.
In this fully animated, all-new take on the Smurfs, a mysterious map sets Smurfette and her best friends Brainy, Clumsy and Hefty on an exciting and thrilling race through the Forbidden Forest filled with magical creatures to find a mysterious lost village before the evil wizard Gargamel does. Embarking on a rollercoaster journey full of action and danger, the Smurfs are on a course that leads to the discovery of the biggest secret in Smurf history!
1. Using the bottom edge of the t-shirt, place the side fold at the back of the head. Wrap around your head to the front, do not stretch the shirt, and mark the spot.
2. Lay the shirt flat, under the arm mark a small curve. I did so free-handed but you could definitely use a plate or glass to help draw the curve.
3. From the mark you made at the bottom edge, draw a line up to the curve.
4. Follow your drawn lines and sew inside the drawn line. This will give the hat a slightly tighter fit.
I've sewn in a dark thread so you can see the shape but I would recommend you do so with a light colored thread.
5. Cut off the excess t-shirt from your sewn hat. I recommend about 1/4 of an inch.
6. Turn the hat inside out. Notice the seam is a bit longer than the rest.
7. If you desire, you can cut the sleeve off and use it for stuffing the point of the hat. This is what we did. I would also recommend something lightweight to do so like filler or even newspaper.
8. Stuff the tip of the hat.
9. If you notice in the movie the edge around their heads is rather rounded.
I folded up the seamed edge two times, using hot glue to hold it in place.
The sewn edge where it was a bit longer can get tucked in now and glued.
10. Now your hat is finished and ready to wear.
Enter to Win
Swag gift Includes: activity pages, bookmark, planter, t-shirt and tattoos.
Retail Value $20
Enter Here: a Rafflecopter giveaway
“This is a sponsored post on behalf of Review Wire Media for Sony Pictures. I received information to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
“SmurfsMovie” #SmurfsMovie #ad #RWM